XJR6 – The engine is back in again

The Engine is back in again, hopefully finally this time 🙂

Firstly, sorry the site was down yesterday. Something wrong at the ISP.

I had a week off and managed to spend a day in the garage. I set things up ready to install the engine and just as I pushed the engine & hoist a few feet out of the garage to enable me to push it into the engine bay it started raining. Well obviously it was time for a tea break so I left it like that for about an hour and then proceeded to get the engine back in the car. It is now sitting on the engine mounts and the gear box is supported underneath with wooden blocks. I do have a slight problem now as I cant get under the car and into the pit without moving it and obviously can’t move it with the gearbox on blocks. I will have to support the rear of the engine to allow me to move it and carry on fitting the gearbox mounts in the new location.

Engine in place
Engine in place
Supercharged AJ16 engine waiting to be put into the Series 2
Supercharged AJ16 engine waiting to be put into the Series 2

The engine loom was pushed through the hole in the bulkhead as you can see below and then I did a little debugging of the electronics.

ECU plugs poking throught the hole
ECU plugs poking through the hole

I connected the power, checked for no smoke 🙂 and looked to see if the ODB2 port was working.

  • OBD2 wireless module powered up, app on iPhone could not see/connect to the ECU
  • Unplugged the ECU plugs and checked for 12V (+B) – not present
    • Checked the ECU power relay was switching on – it was not?
    • Checked the power in the new fuse box in the engine bay and discovered the relay in the fuse box enabling the “switched” power was not being energised
    • Followed the cables back because this was working a while ago and discovered the 48 pin connector I built into the bulkhead was not connected together fully.
    • Fuse box Relay was still not being engaged
    • Traced this back to the cable I was using for testing was not finally connected to the relay I wired up. The S2 ignition switch switches its outputs to +B when in each position. All the ignition switch positions on an XJR switch the associated output to ground. This means I need relays to convert the +B outputs to a ground signal to feed the appropriate signals to the various control units.
      • Wired up the correct cable to the relay output and now the Engine Bay fuse box is alive!
      • reconnected up the ECU plugs and now the ODB2 module/iPhone can talk to the ECU – hooray 🙂
      • Gave error code P1620 which looks like immobiliser error
      • Ok now I know the iPhone app will talk XJR I will purchase the full app and update you on further progress.

That was a good time to stop!

More investigations

Leave a Reply